Cosmetic dentistry includes many different techniques for improving smiles and boosting confidence. Veneers are one of those available tools that can significantly enhance the aesthetics of a smile.
Hence, the team at Pretoria Bridge Dental would like you to know about veneers and how to tell if they are right for you.
What Are Veneers?
Veneers are thin shells made of porcelain or a composite resin material that is placed over the teeth’s front surfaces. This allows them to alter and improve the appearance of stained and discoloured teeth. Beyond the colour of teeth, veneers also serve as repairs for teeth with chips, gaps or bad alignment.
Placing veneers involves removing a small portion of the enamel of the tooth that needs the procedure. After the enamel is removed, the veneer is placed on the front surface of the tooth and permanently bonded to it.
Veneers are a favoured cosmetic dentistry procedure due to how they are designed to match the existing teeth’s shape and colour and their longevity. After they are placed on teeth, they can last for years with the proper care and maintenance.
Types of Veneers
There are two main types of veneers.
- Porcelain veneers are veneers made from a ceramic material known as dental porcelain. These ceramic veneers are placed over the teeth in 2 to 3 dental appointments and a small amount of enamel has to be removed from the tooth. Porcelain veneers are durable, stain-resistant and have a long lifespan.
- Composite veneers are veneers made from a composite resin material coloured to look like teeth. Composite resin veneers require fewer preparatory actions than porcelain veneers and can be placed even quicker, usually needing a single appointment. While they are not as strong as porcelain veneers, they provide a more cost-effective option.
Advantages of Veneers as a Cosmetic Dentistry Technique
Veneers provide many benefits for those who receive them including:
- Enhanced visual appearance of teeth by repairing issues like chips, gaps, misalignment, stains and discolouration.
- Customizable colours and shapes allow the veneers to blend in with other teeth easily.
- Strong materials that allow the veneers to last for a long time, especially with good maintenance and dental care.
- Resistance to food items and substances that can discolour teeth like tea, coffee and other beverages.
- Efficient cosmetic alterations that are less invasive than other procedures.
- Quick results that immediately improve the aesthetic value of a smile.
Disadvantages of Veneers as a Cosmetic Dentistry Technique
While veneers are admittedly useful, there are some small drawbacks to their users that include:
- The price point, especially since veneers are considered elective and might not fall under medical insurance coverage.
- The permanence of the procedure since veneer placement requires removing some tooth enamel. Once the enamel is removed, the tooth will always require protection.
- Possible sensitivity or pain in the aftermath of the procedure, especially with hot and cold temperatures.
- A risk for dental prosthetics to take damage from particularly hard food items or actions like grinding or clenching teeth or biting down on fingernails.
- Their unsuitability for solving dental problems that are more severe like gum disease, tooth decay or significantly large tooth gaps.
How Can You Decide If Veneers Are the Right Cosmetic Dentistry Option?
Choosing veneers out of the other cosmetic dentistry techniques requires consultation with a dental health professional like a dentist. The examination that ensues will be used to evaluate the patient’s suitability for veneer placement. Here are some factors the dentist will look for during the consultation:
- The patient’s current oral health.
- Cosmetic issues like stains, gaps and chips.
- Enough tooth enamel to facilitate the preparation process.
- Evidence of good oral hygiene to ensure the veneers will be taken care of.
Pretoria Bridge Dental – Your Family’s Downtown Ottawa Dentist
Veneers are a useful cosmetic dentistry option to effectively and efficiently improve teeth appearance. However, they are not suitable for all dental conditions or potential patients. When they are used in the right situations and taken care of properly, dental veneers can provide a bright smile that lasts as long as needed.
Please contact us if you are interested in veneers or any other kind of cosmetic dentistry procedure. Pretoria Bridge Dental is a family-focused practice that has served downtown Ottawa and the surrounding areas for over 50 years. We provide an environment that invites and calms our clients and allows us to address all their dental concerns and goals. Choose us to maintain or improve your dental health.